I’m sure that most of us have heard this quote from Mahatma Gandhi
“Your beliefs become your thoughts, Your thoughts become your words, Your words become your actions, Your actions become your habits, Your habits become your values, Your values become your destiny.”
During my time as a high school teacher in an alternative high school environment, I had the challenge of changing the way my students viewed themselves, their abilities to achieve their goals, and move their lives from that of chaos and confusion to a more orderly and sane life. As part of the work that I did with them, I developed some exercises and lessons based on Sean Covey’s book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens. Those habits – “1) Be Proactive, 2) Begin with the End in Mind, 3) Put First Things First, 4) Think Win-Win, 5) Seek First to Understand Then to Be Understood, 6) Synergize, and 7) Sharpen the Saw” – were completely foreign concepts to them, as to many adults I encounter.
You are probably asking yourself what any of this has to do with hypnosis? I promise that I will tell you in a moment. Along my journey to perfect my skills as a hypnotist, I came to fully understand the power of language in shaping our thoughts, emotions and behaviors. In simple terms, picture your mind as an iceberg. The part that you see above the water, about 10% is our conscious mind. The conscious mind is the rational mind that judges the information we are receiving and deciding whether it is true or false, whether we should believe it or not. This is where our short-term memory resides. The other 90% of our mind, the subconscious mind, is like a hard-drive that is switched on at (or before birth) and records everything that goes on around us. It notes every experience and feeling. It regulates our body functions, and does not require us to be aware of its functioning. This is the emotional mind. Our behaviors are controlled by our subconscious mind. This is important since our subconscious mind, that part of our mind that makes up 90%, relates all behaviors to emotions. As a hypnotist, I work with language to help my clients reach their maximum potential by replacing negative emotions and behaviors with positive habits. These changes bring about dramatic impacts in the lives my clients who are dealing with things such as anxiety, stress, pain, fear, inability to stop smoking, or lose weight, or want to perform better in work or sports.
It is our focus that becomes our reality. If we are focused on negative outcomes, we surely will miss the positive opportunities. I had a sign in my classroom that read: “THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FAILURE – THERE IS ONLY FEEDBACK!” That does not mean that students did not earn D’s or F’s, but rather the grades they earned gave them feedback about what they needed to do to improve their performance. Did they need to study? Did they need to come to class? Did they need to spend time with me asking questions on things they did not understand? That was their job and my expectation.
A friend of mine, Colin T. Fisher, who is also a Master Hypnotist and Law of Attraction Coach from the UK (www.TheRealLawOfAttraction.com), shared with me his book – Dreams into Reality. The book consists of a series of 12 poems that take you on a journey of self-discovery and reinforces what I have demonstrated to clients, the incredible power of their minds to achieve anything they focus on. As a hypnotist, I work with you to create positive feelings that replace the negative ones that hold you back.
Begin focusing on the positive, today. Do what I teach all my clients to do, begin with a simple practice of mindfulness meditation and see how your life will improve. Here’s a link to my simple guided mindfulness meditation recording that has helped my students, my friends and my clients.